<VV> I don't understand this    my  simple short    explaination

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Wed May 22 14:09:47 EDT 2019

So it's the timing that's the real issue ;)
Lots of British cars of the 50's and 60's, including my wife's everyday
transport, a 1958 Morris Minor Tourer, had crank handles. They only
disappeared when alternators replaced dynamos (generators) in the late
60's. For many decades prior to that, cars had had an automatic
(centrifugal) ignition advance, plus a vacuum retard in most cases.
I believe I'm correct in saying it was Henry Leland, boss of Cadillac,
who demanded an electric starter after a colleague died from
complications when he broke his arm (or maybe his jaw?) while trying to
rescue a lady motorist who was stranded in a flood, and the car did what
you describe - kicked back at him.
That spelled the end of steam cars of course.