<VV> Production date question: When was my '65 built?

Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA gsteve at hammatt.com
Wed May 22 12:03:27 EDT 2019

I love your comment, but no, she wasn't in any way a "car woman".
Here's how I remember how she ended up with this Corvair.
Mom was going to by a year-end 1964 Impala, being a school
teacher, she went to Tommy Ayres Chevrolet where her Teacher's
Union had a discount program going.  The salesman took her into
the basement of the dealership to look at an Impala that sounded
interesting to her, and while looking at the Impala, she spotted a
yet-to-be-introduced 1965 Corvair coupe.
"That's the car I want"..or words to that effect.  Anyway, she forgot
about the Impala and decided to get the Corvair.  But, it wasn't
even on display yet; in this case, it was hidden in the basement
until that magic day in the fall of 1964!
Fast forward a few days and her favorite son (me!) came home from
college to "help" Mom order her car.  She was already in love with
the yellow coupe with black interior.  Now it was turn to try a little
subtle salesmanship.  "Mom, you know how it when it rains here
in SoCal and the street intersections flood, you'll appreciate the
safety you'll have with the posi-traction differential".
Then I mentioned that she’ll get better fuel economy with the
stick shift (her personal cars had always been stick shift......remember,
this was 1965) and even better economy with the four speed
transmission.  And lastly, I mentioned that with the optional four
carb engine, she will have better fuel distribution and therefore
better fuel economy.  Honestly, I said everyone one of these things
to her and it worked!  Maybe, she was a "car woman" after all!
She always loved that car!

                                       December 1964
Thirty years after this photo, I “purchased” the car from her for $1.

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com