<VV> fuel tank leak help

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at yahoo.com
Wed May 29 11:50:37 EDT 2019

 My '69 convertible developed a fuel leak from the tank. It is unusual as I have never experienced this place to leak and never heard of this leak location.
  Fuel looked like it was leaking from the area of the retainer and dripping off the bottom of the tank. It was a fair drip about every 5 seconds.
 To attempt to fix the seepage, I assumed the rubber seal had failed. Upon removing the pickup and seal, the seal was soft and flexible. Regardless I installed a new seal, retainer and tested it. First gallon, no leak. Third gallon it was leaking even worse.
 Carefully examining the area it looks like the leak is coming from the flange on the tank that the retainer attaches to. The fuel just seem to seep around so it is hard to pin it down, and the access isn't too good.

 Besides a new tank, any suggestions? The pictures show an old tank that was fiberglass repaired by me decades ago. Arrow points to the tank flange.