<VV> Compact Spare Tire Issue

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Tue Sep 3 14:15:13 EDT 2019

Joel,
Excellent observation.  I missed it.  That spare was an option only for the GT Mustang and your implication that it is "special" is probably correct.  The folks at C&D are professionals.  Why didn't they realize that their test subject was not a realistic representation of the real world.  Maybe it was because it wouldn't result in a "gotcha" article.  They were more interested in the amusing burn-out marks the car left than in serving the real interests of the readers. Shame on them.
You would think that C&D would have run a test that was more realistic for "Joe Average."  This is especially the case considering that this is a safety issue.  Their grossly incomplete and misleading article has resulted in Jack putting himself in danger and Lord only knows how many others are driving around on time bombs. My previous analogy to Russian roulette seems very appropriate.  Further, all those people are also endangering loved ones in their own cars as well as drivers and pedestrians around them.  There are probably many people out there driving around with a false sense of security and pride that they found a perfectly acceptable source of cheapo tires.  I would imagine that the Mustang GT spare tires aren't all that cheap.
I know that magazines thrive on publishing "interesting" articles that grab your attention but they should handle anything safety related in a much more scientific and ethical manner or not publish the article at all.  At a minimum,they should include a disclaimer in bold red letters that the article is just for entertainment value and should not be taken seriously when considering the use (or misuse) of mini spares.  JMHO
Doc