<VV> Maxxis Tire Purchase - P185/80 R13

edward szuch egszuch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 21:28:57 EDT 2020

I just received my 4 Maxxis tires that I bought through Amazon.  They were
about $117 each and came from a store in Sparta NC.  The Amazon add said
they were from Maxxis.  Interesting that at the Maxxis.com website, these
tires don't appear as an available size or tire by any other description.
For those interested in useless drivel, I compared three different tires
that I currently have for the car.  The original 7.00-13 Uniroyal Laredo,
the 1996 Goodyear Decathlon (same P185 size), and the new Maxxis MA-1
tires.  I hope this will display in column form:
                        *Original*                          *Goodyear*
                         *Maxxis*
W/W width          11/16"                              1/2"
                        9/16"
W/W style            recessed                       raised
                  recessed
W/W distance      7/8"                                 15/16"
                    15/16" est
to rim bead
Max Load            Not specified *              1301 lbs @
            1301 lbs @
                                                                  35 psi
                                 44 psi
*Construction*
Sidewall             4 ply rating 2 ply             1 ply polyester
             1 ply polyester
Tread                  no specification              2 ply steel
                2 ply steel

                                   1 ply nylon
Wear, Traction,   no specification *            300, B, C
           420, B, B
Temperature

* meets SAE J918a (revised 1/1/66). J918a is the SAE spec for tires.  It
was cancelled in 2018 but I believe it would have some of this information
or similar.

So......these tires look to have a little better performance than the
previous Goodyears and in appearance, a bit closer to the originals.  They
come from Taiwan and not mainland China.  Hope this helps if you're
shopping for tires.
Gary Szuch