<VV> Headlamps

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Mon Apr 6 03:36:58 EDT 2020

I think he must have done. But the rule is, the first to arrive is the
first to proceed. Except sometimes it isn't. The clue is whether you can
see a grey hexagon on a post in the other driver's line of vision - if
it's there, it's the back of a 'stop' sign, and if it's not, prepare to
get run down as the other guy ain't stopping! In England and probably
anywhere else in the world whoever was on the main road would have had
priority. What I find really disturbing, and this is more in California
than Florida if I recall, is when you're driving along minding your own
business, and all of a sudden a white line disappears under your front
wheels. I always think I've missed a 'stop' sign, but in California they
just seemt to paint them on the road just for fun. Driving in America is
really pretty random. Every junction is different; signposting is hit &
miss (odd number roads are meant to go north-south, but a number of
times the signpost will say east or west!); every driver seems to follow
his own rules of the road or none. On the other hand, there are no speed
cameras, no MoT tests (annual inspections), no endless road-works like
in the UK, no crash helmets on motorbikes, no compulsory insurance and
the cops don't bother too much about the speed limits.