<VV> Wazzupp

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Fri Apr 17 16:24:20 EDT 2020

Weather has been mild enough here at VA Beach to allow me to hang in the garage without losing fingers or toes. Unfortunately I have got into one of those deals that take the joy out of playing mechanic.  Scrounged up a Diff to replace the noisy one in my recently acquired 62, 700 coupe.  Very pretty gears with no apparent wear.  Not being smart enough to leave well enough alone I replaced all the seals and the bearings which were showing signs of brinneling.  Put it back together and did the setup.  Contact pattern on teeth was unacceptable.  I wish the drawings in the book were more descriptive.  Anyway the pics indicated that I needed more shim under the bearing at the gear end of the shaft.  Added .003 shim and all it did was confuse me.  I have jacked the backlash from .005 to .010 both before and after adding the shim, which doesn’t give me enough change to tell me which way to go.  You guys that can’t go to the garage are so lucky.  I have wasted 4  days futzing with this thing so if they find my scrawny lifeless body draped over a greasy differential, you will know what got me.

Sent from my iPad