<VV> Insurance Input -- NO CORVAIR

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Fri Apr 24 16:16:00 EDT 2020

Grant:

Doc's advice was spot on.

In general, if someone is stepping between you and the insurance carrier
to purchase the value of your policy, this will result in less money
flowing to you.  The purchaser will always need to make a profit (small
or large) on the transaction ... and this will be at your expense, not
the carrier's.

Please let us know here, or me offline, what kind of insurance policy
you've got.  Is it Whole Life?  Universal Life?  Something else?  I'm
assuming, because you say "it is time to renew" that it is not an
annuity but please let us know regardless.

If it's almost any kind of cash-value policy (e.g., whole life) your
carrier will have some sort of provision to allow you to gain access to
the cash directly.  Again, don't go through a middle man, you'll just
get less.

Finally, if these people approaching you are viatical settlement
companies or brokers, be aware that these arrangements only work when
the policyholder has some dread disease (e.g., pancreatic cancer) where
the likelihood is good that the policyholder will be dying in the short
term, i.e., collecting on a term-life policy. Again, let us know what
kind of policy you have and perhaps the comments can get a bit more focused.

I'm replying here on VV, btw, even though this is way off topic, in case
it benefits others.

Steven "by 'others', I mean 'other old farts' which we pretty much all
are" Serenska
Bristol, RI

1965 Monza Convertible, 110/4
1966 Corsa Coupe, 140/4