<VV> 'Hour-glass' head screws?

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 15:49:47 EST 2020

One sentence in the Wikipedia article gets to the heart of at least half of
this discussion.
"They are sometimes called one-way clutch screws, but should not be confused
with true "clutch" screws."
The screws GM used are "true 'clutch' screws" and have nothing to do with
the one-way security screws.  Back when GM started using clutch head screws,
the main choices were the standard slot head and the Phillips head.  The
clutch head tool stays in place in the head like a Phillips, avoiding damage
to nearby surfaces.  However it resists cam out that Phillips is prone to
and the tool can hold the fastener.  In essence, the features are a lot like
a Torx although probably not as good as Torx.

It always looked to me like GM used clutch fasteners a lot more on trucks
than cars.  Thus I was never surprised by their heavy usage on FCs.  Maybe
it had to do with the acceptability of exposed fasteners on trucks on
surfaces they didn't want marred otherwise by errant drivers.

Jim Becker