<VV> Stripped plug hole

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Jan 18 14:18:05 EST 2020

On 1/18/2020 11:41 AM, FrankDuVal via VirtualVairs wrote:

On 1/18/2020 11:41 AM, FrankDuVal via VirtualVairs wrote:

> Swarf? Not an issue! It's aluminum. Just crank the engine over (start
> on 5 cylinder) after the operation and blow the swarf out. Done it
> many times with the KD inserts.

I always did it this way, never a problem.  5 cylinders at idle with the
empty plug hole WILL blow everything out.

 > BTW,  Danny Otey in Roanoke used to use 18mm plugs in Corvair heads
many times for repairing blown out plugs to keep the cars on the road.
We did lots of things back then to keep people driving Corvairs when
they were cheap transportation. ggg

Ahh, Ford plugs.   Then again Danny didn't have one of those cute little
specialty tools that reams the hole and taps it for a 14mm helicoil.  A
13/16 plug socket fits it, makes it easy to use.  I have one that's
maybe 50 years old now, made of some of the hardest metal I've seen in
any tool.  I've used it to install a helicoil on a Corvair on the side
of the road.   We all did a lot of weird stuff to Corvairs back in the
day.  Today, just about anything that's done to a Corvair seems weird to
anybody else other than "Corvair folk".   I have a salvage engine that
Danny had run his hands over a time or two that came out of a terminally
rusty late model...  one head has two Ford plugs in it.

tony..