<VV> UK Shilling; was FCs at Barrett Jackson

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corporation vairtec at optimum.net
Mon Jan 20 14:49:18 EST 2020

There was a time when the Shilling was worth about 8 or so US cents, and
the Shilling coin worked perfectly in the Garden State Parkway automatic
toll baskets which were supposed to get a US Quarter.  So I'd get a
batch of Shillings from the bank and use 'em when I drove the Parkway,
which was often.

(Did someone say something about Corvair owners being cheap?)

After the toll got raised to 35 cents I abandoned the practice, and of
course today both of my Corvairs have an E-ZPass transponder and the
toll is $1.50...

--Bob

PS:  This story was told to me by a friend.  I never did this myself.
That would be wrong.