<VV> Autumn leaves

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 22:13:24 EST 2020

Ok, I had a poke about in there - pulling the plug leads revealed a lot
of dead leaves on top of the cylinders, as expected. What surprised me
was that none had got through to the bottom of the cylinders. I thought
there would be leaves laying in the bottom shrouds. Anyway, I put an air
line through each plug hole in the top shroud & blew the leaves back
where they had come from - into the fan - from where I hoovered them up.
We shall see if that's enough, or whether I will need to take the top
cover off to do a more thorough job.
There are some deflectors below the base of the cylinders behind the
pushrod tubes - I had not noticed them before.
Another thing I had never noticed before is that the fan blades are
unequally spaced - presumably to prevent noise at certain speeds.
Next job take that carburettor off & sort out the blocked jet.
Back to the wheel balance - it is difficult to precisely identify where
the imbalance lies; it feels like both rears, but due to the speed of
the phasing, it might be one front & one rear. If it were both rears I
would expect a slower phase, but fronts & rears are obviously going to
be a different rolling diameter which would give a quicker phase.
First step is deal with the obvious & get all the wheels balanced -
then we'll see.