<VV> Nader

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 13:18:44 EST 2020

The short answer is that it sounded plausible and ultimately the government (precurser to the NHTSA) had tests run which did not conclude until a final report issued in 1972, which exonerated the Corvair, but of course that was too late to have any effect since production stopped in 1969. The actual cause of the Corvair's demise was the Mustang and the fact that it was cheaper to compete with the Camaro than to make the Corvair competitive as a cheap street drag rubber-burner.
The other thing was that GM had the bad judgment to send Private Eyes after Nader to try to discredit him by catching him in some embarassing behavior. In this respect Nader was clean as a whistle, and GM was caught in the act and ulltimately suffered the indignity of having their CEO publicly apologize to Nader in public congressional testimony as I recall.