<VV> Carbs

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 18:25:17 EST 2020

Haha there is never only one way to do something. Were that the case,
we'd all still be living in caves. An Indian cook once said "There is
only one recipe. But there are many ways of doing it"
Anyway that's enough philosophising - Yes I agree that the Rochester
carb works. But it is certainly not what I would describe as an elegant
solution to the biggest problem that all carburettors have to overcome -
the fact that air is lighter than gasoline and therefore speeds up more
rapidly when you open the throttle. SU carbs, on the other hand, are a
picture of elegance - they do it all with one jet and a variable
venturi, together with a vast selection of needles which enable you to
tweak the mixture precisely at any degree of throttle opening.
Here's a rare piece of useless information for you; the initials "S U"
stand for 'Skinners Union". The Skinner brothers were part of the large
British shoe manufacturer at the dawn of the motor car, and they
designed this clever carburettor. Originally, instead of that beautiful
spun aluminium dashpot, they had a bellows made of calf-skin, hand-sewn
by old Mrs Skinner herself. But the principle was as elegant as it
remains to this day.
Einstein's equation E=MC2 is also described as elegant, because it is
so concise. If it were Rochester's theory of Relativity, it would be
three pages long.