<VV> Turbo PG's

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 6 23:24:42 EST 2020

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 13:43:55 -0500
From: Hugo Miller <hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Subject: <VV> Turbo PG's?

I gather that Spyder engines and Powerglides are not a good mix? I had
always understood that the torque output from the Turbo engine was
actually lower than the non-turbo at low revs. But I've just seen some
graphs which suggest the opposite?
I am on the point of rebuilding a 164 140 to go in my PG, but a good
Spyder engine has just come on the market, which would save me the job
of rebuilding the 140.
Any observations?

The reason it isnt a good mix is not that the PG cant handle the torque of the Turbo, it's the stupendous load change to the engine... turbo may or may not spool at high rpms in low, but the timing is quite high, then the shift and SUDDENLY the load change... if it was boosting in low, the  sudden change in load can be enough to cause it to detonate. At least that has been the fear. Experienced owners have got it to work pretty well though, without blowing the engine up. Billy Bruce drag races a EM with a PG, and is fairly consistent running low 12's in the quarter mile. Yes, he does run a lot of boost!
Kevin Nash
63 Turbo, port fuel injected daily driver, 22psi boost!
Baddest cooling fan on the planet!