<VV> TURBO PG

tony underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Mar 10 11:51:03 EDT 2020

> As far as the bud’s turbo… why not  just put a set of rings in it?  Common maintenance for turbo owners that drive the cars hard?  Not just Vairs..
>
> Matt Nall
> Sea Mountain
> SW  Oregon Coast

He said he just wanted to do something else, Vair-wise.  I think a lot of his decision to sell revolved around not just the smoke but the piston slap...  😉

tony..

PS:  I know all about the distributor curves on turbo engines and how NOT to use the factory curve, PG or otherwise.  That curve is only "useful" ( and just barely ) when the bathtub chambered heads are used.  They are TERRIBLE heads that IMHO are good for little else besides recycling, or  for somebody who just must have a numbers-matching turbo engine.  The 95hp heads look alike, have much better combustion chambers, same compression, and the sodium exhaust valves drop right in and no, bronze guides are not necessary although if you got 'em use 'em.  Not difficult to make 95hp heads work on a turbo engine.  I used a STOCK 110hp distributor with a pressure retard, no detonation issues unless you go cheap and put regular in it.  It did everything better than the turbo distributor when used with the 95 heads.   This engine did have a gearbox and not a PG but I'd think it would still work better with a PG than the turbo ignition and top end parts.