<VV> Gas Guage /SENDER changout

Dale Dewald d66dewald at gmail.com
Mon May 18 15:14:41 EDT 2020

On 18 May 2020 07:49:29 +0100 Hugo Miller

Just to ake things more intersting, you have to take the tank out on
the FC's to change the sender. They couldn't have put an access panel in
the floor - that would have made it too easy.

I have seen several FC's with shop-made access panels; some were simply a
hole cut, then a slightly larger blank of sheet metal glued in place [to
avoid screws puncturing the tank]. The most skillfully done one I've seen
had a nicely trimmed hole to fit what looked like the stamped side cover of
a transmission, nutserts installed, and a custom trimmed gasket; totally
factory in appearance.  Then again, on my project '63 Greenbrier from CA
someone simply took an air chisel to cut a U-shaped hole, bent the flap
back, fixed the sender, then bent the flap down again.  For the first
several weeks I owned that truck I wondered why there was so much road
noise, until I looked under the bench seat...

On 2020-05-18 07:39, Seth Emerson via VirtualVairs wrote:
> All Corvair cars mount from the bottom right side. FCs drop in from
> on top. Totally different.
> Early cars - and FCs, at least through 64 use the 30 Ohm range
> senders - like most GM cars of that era.?
> 1965 - almost all GM cars changed to the 90 Ohm range, that included
> the Corvair car.

>From 1964 up to the 1967 redesign, the Chevy Van continued to use a 30 ohm
sender to pair with its Corvair FC derived instrument panel.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

More information about the VirtualVairs mailing list