<VV> Front Spring Replacement

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 17:12:54 EDT 2020

                                                                                                         B"H
Hi everyone...hope you're all staying healthy and happy :)
Last week I finally decided to replace the saggy front springs on my 66 Monza.  What a job, I was sore for days afterward :(
In any case, the Corvair Shop Manual says you should drop the lower control arms by undoing the lower ball joint (excuse me, "Spherical Joint" which relaxes the spring.  It also instructs you to remove the shock absorber and undo the stabilizer bar bracket.  But after following that procedure,  I was still unable to get the lower control arm to drop all the way down.
What I had to do was to unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the steering knuckle to the brake backing plate, then it dropped.  However the shop manual makes no mention of undoing those 2 bolts.
They also instruct you to tap on the joint with a hammer.  I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a hammer in there to "tap on the joint," I ended up using a front-end fork to separate the joint from the backing plate.
Has anyone else had the same experience?  I'm curious.  By using the fork I tore the rubber grease retainer so I'm probably going to have to drop the whole kit and kaboodle again!
Best Wishes and thanks folks...Bill Hershkowitz66 Monza Sport Sedan