<VV> Chrome trim

tony underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed May 27 13:12:07 EDT 2020

> On May 25, 2020 at 10:47 PM FrankDuVal via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:
>

> This may sound nuts,

NOT nuts.  it works.

> but if the chrome is in bad shape, first step is
> polishing with a ball of aluminum foil and water. Then another polish.

I use WD-40 instead of water.  Ha!  Works as well as water, and no need to encourage more corrosion.  It's especially effective on those brown rust pits on ancient chrome. The aluminum foil not only removes that brown tinge but it also packs into the pits to cover/fill them.

> If the aluminum is dull, first remove the anodizing..... then polish.

If you have access to the stuff, and you're Very careful, you can try "brite-dip" first.  Nitric acid.  Works wonders on cleaning aluminum.  It really cleans up and shines aluminum but Do Not get it on steel, or chrome, or you.  It's horror-movie acid and it will destroy flesh.  But it's the best stuff ever for cleaning up and brightening aluminum.  After, if you get serious, you can clear-coat the aluminum.

This depends on whether or not the acid shined things up enough to suit...

> See Richard's great article on how to do this:
>
> https://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Polishing.html
>
> Frank DuVal

Yep, if need be, this works too.  :)  Don't even try to sand off anodized coatings... exercise in futility.  Do the drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide) trick as described.

tony..