<VV> Another Corvair Mystery

Matt patiomatt at aol.com
Tue Apr 6 16:00:57 EDT 2021

From: UNKNOWN PERSON

It is a 145 in.³ engine recently rebuilt with less than 100 miles on it.,Two newly rebuilt carburetors from our carb guy in Florida.  It's in a 1961 Greenbrier.  Although it starts easily and will rev with no problem, if idle speed is anything below 1300 the engine dies.  Cam timing has been checked and is right on and so is ignition timing.  A total of six different carburetors have been tried all with the same result.  The only thing that has not been replaced is the distributor.  The  points plate is in good shape.  Is it possible that it could be a distributor problem?  Is it possible that the springs although they look good are in fact week and the thing goes into a death spiral?  Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Typical “Newbie” problem!  Read and print this out, then follow it “step by step”  Written specifically for newbies. Approved by newbies / well tested.  GG

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/nallm/carbalance.htm

I wouldn’t suspect “YOUR” Carb guy.  I was able to teach my 8 yr. old to do it correctly!

Matt Nall
Sea Mountain
SW Oregon Coast
’66 Monza Turbo / ’67 Monza110/pg