<VV> Lifters interchangeable?

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Feb 11 23:37:04 EST 2021

On 2/11/2021 10:09 AM, Charles h. Sadek via VirtualVairs wrote:
> They are. FLAPS used to list high performance Chevy small block lifters.
> Those are good for our high performance engines.

The only difference is that Corvair lifters as supplied had deeper
seated pushrod cups, aka "deep dimple" lifters.  This helped keep the
pushrod seated in the lifter should valve lash get outta wack.  This
could cause the pushrod to drop out of the lifter cup and actually end
up in the lifter bore and ride on the rim of the lifter, if for
instance, a rocker nut were to loose its crimp and slowly begin backing
off.   Horizontal lifter configuration etc.  Gravity works.

If valve lash is kept correct and you don't rev the engine past valve
float, plain ordinary Chevy lifters work fine.  Valve float is usually
only an issue with hi-perf Corvairs like autocrossers and road race
versions etc. and even then you really have to Try to pop a pushrod out
of the lifter cup.

tony..

--
https://www.avg.com