<VV> Backup switch 1964 Spyder

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Jan 1 00:29:19 EST 2021

You have deduced correctly ( except a Spyder could have a three speed,
but I have never seen one. I have seen three speed Corsas, though).

The 1960 to 1964 backup lamp switch for manual transmissions connects to
the body harness inside the tunnel area. That is where the three speed
switch is located, on the shift shaft, nothing to do with the stick
through the floor. For the four speed, the switch is screwed into the
bottom of the transmission near the shift selector shaft. A long cable
goes from the switch to the connector inside the tunnel. The long cable
is part of the backup lamp switch and not  removable from the switch as
built (of course it can be removed and reattached, but usually involves
soldering to terminals that does not go well). This is because the three
and four speeds are very different transmissions. This is through 1965
model year, BTW.

Starting in 1966, the three and four speed manual transmissions are very
similar, internally and externally, and they both have the same backup
lamp switch screwed into the side of the transmission, so there is no
backup lamp switch connector inside the tunnel.

Join the two white wires going into the 4 speed switch (with another
wire, jumper clip, etc.), do the backup lamps come on (ignition switch
ON)? If so, the switch (or internal transmission issue) is bad. If the
lights are not on, check the bulbs, grounds of sockets, the heater fuse,
then the wires in the tunnel.

And, Happy New Year!

Frank DuVal