<VV> glass question

Dale Dewald d66dewald at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 11:01:59 EST 2021

On 1/16/2021 10:43, Jim Simpson wrote:
> There used to be electrically heated knives that seemed to work well, but a
> quick look on the internet didn't show any.  (I didn't search all that
> hard, but a friend in the local club has one.)
The Ideal Co. makes a tire grooving and siping iron that has simple
clamping screws on the business end to hold whatever type of knife,
blades, etc you can fabricate or concoct. I have one of these irons and
have used it quite a bit for modifying tires. The heat really helps with
cutting through the rubber.  The best blade for window removal would be
made of beryllium copper (the strongest of all copper alloys) which has
very good thermal conductivity.  This is the tool I would grab first for
cutting out a windshield.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI