<VV> Pain in the "glass"

Randy (Cap'n) Hook judynrandy at comcast.net
Sat Jan 16 16:27:19 EST 2021

Glass removal update:  I just wanted to give an update on the removal of the tinted glass from my '65 parts car here in wonderful cloudy south central PA.
To date, the back glass is still in the car.  BUT it is still in one piece.  Phew!!!!
What a "pain in the glass".  As this is my first attempt at something like this, I can truthfully say this has been quite a learning experience.  I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions received so far.  Thank you.
I guess the biggest thing I've learned so far is how dependent this operation is on the weather.  When I first started, it was about 47 and sunny.  The black goop was semi pliable.  I progressed about 6 inches down one side.  And I was able to dig out a lot of the goop.  Then darkness hit.  I also decided it would be easier to remove the glass from the doors if I removed them from the car and took them into my garage where I could work on them by my woodburner and  under the lights.  That part went well and was a blast.  I love taking things apart when I don't have to worry about putting them back together.  Success.  All 6 pieces of glass were removed from said doors with no issues.  You are absolutely right, Smitty.  Patience definitely IS a virtue.  Yesterday, my friend and I tried the back window again.  It was about 36 degrees, cloudy and breezy.  Cold as crap.  The black goop was the consistency of concrete.  After farting around with it for about 45 minutes,  trying all method
 s learned, we decided to call it quits so as to not break anything.
At present, we're in a holding pattern until a warmer, sunny day comes along.  Until then...........
Randy (Cap'n) Hook