<VV> Cam Timing Question Long answer sorry

N2VZD TIM n2vzd at aol.com
Sun Jul 18 08:51:05 EDT 2021

I had a situation a few years ago where the crank pulley sheared the key and motor was like later v8s with bad timing chain. first clue was "not much wind" cranking over like it had 24 volts. So I checked compression. They were all very low. So I pulled the pan and got cam mark lined up with crankcase seam. Sure enough timing mark was way off.  This motor was in a 63 rampy the customer bought from southjer NY with no idea what he bought>he had it towed here to get a "tune up" .Ended up I got it running , but very bad. I then got OK to do "whaever it needs". When I checked the diff it was trashed , transmission had a broken clutch plate in the pan! and other issues. So I rebuilt everything . The Converter LOOKED  OK but after all was said and done it ran nice for 50 miles then converter bolts came loose. HMM I was sure they were tight. I fixed that and drove it @100 miles. Gave it back. a few days later back with converter loose again. There was a vibration and motor ran goofy. So A new converter and crankshaft fixed it for good until he totaled it.It is now being restored by a new owner.  Check crank gear key.Regards, Tim Colson     seen it all.