<VV> Hardness of Corvair Cylinders

edward szuch egszuch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 11:56:33 EDT 2021

Hi Chuck;
I don't have a Chevy print so I can't say for sure.  Based on my experience
the cylinders would be a gray iron casting and probably a low grade for
cost, machinability, and oil retention purposes.
>From that, I'd say the hardness would be in a range of 145-201 on the HB500
scale (Brinell Hardness).  My guess would be they run somewhere around the
175HB value in the real world.
My numbers are coming from Chrysler standards and practices but the auto
industry all ran very similar material standards.
Hope that helps.
Gary Szuch