<VV> '69 Monza vs. '70 Cutlass, drag strip competition

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Mar 29 00:06:32 EDT 2021

On 3/28/2021 3:53 PM, Jay Maechtlen via VirtualVairs wrote:
> On 3/23/2021 2:00 PM, Ed Thompson via VirtualVairs wrote:
>> I hope the video link below makes it OK to VV.
>>
>> 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass W-31 Hits Drag Strip With 1969 Chevy Corvair:
>> Video
>> <https://gmauthority.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fbb4437084c33acc25fbd24ca&id=101b0379cf&e=971e7980a8>

Anybody notice the Corvair turned a quicker and faster time than the
Cougar Eliminator?

Oldsmobile sandbagged the horsepower on the W31 350 engine, bigtime.
Likewise the W30 455.  The W31 cars were much more bad-ass than they
shoulda been with just 325hp.   They were nearly as fast as the W30 455
cars.   I knew two guys who had W30 and W31 cars.  The W30 populated the
owner's mantle with a row of dragrace trophies.   W31 owner never
dreamed of racing his, treated it like a fragile flower, never drove it
in the rain etc.   Brought it to the cruise-in a time or two but other
than that I never saw it out.

The Corvair had nothing to be ashamed about, when put up against any W
series Olds.

tony..

--
https://www.avg.com