<VV> Oil Pan Leak Question

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Oct 8 22:45:25 EDT 2021

On 10/7/2021 10:54 PM, Bill H. via VirtualVairs wrote:
>                                                                                              B"H
> Hi folks, hope everyone had a Vairy nice summer :-)
> I'm having a problem with an oil pan leak which is driving me nuts.  Oil was leaking from the bolts, drip, drip, drip until (I am guessing) the oil level goes below the top of the pan.
> I have an Otto aluminum oil pan, which is rigid and in excellent condition.  I replaced the gasket with a new rubber one from Clark's, tightened the bolts according to specs (100 inch pounds) but the leak persisted.  Every time I checked the bolts they seemed loose, so yesterday,  I installed lock washers on each bolt.  Now, oil seems to drip only from the bolt farthest from the rear of the car, no matter how tight I made that bolt.  The other bolts seem to have stopped leaking, but you can see the dripping when you look under the rear of the car.

You shouldn't really need lock washers on the pan bolts.  And 100 inch
pounds sounds a bit much for a rubber gasket.  I'd bet that maybe you
have pinched the rubber gasket along the way and oil is getting past the
split and exiting through the bolt hole in the pan.   If I was doing it
I'd not use the rubber gasket with the cast pan.  I'd maybe go with a
cork gasket or a heavy paper gasket.   I could see 100 inch pounds with
a heavy paper gasket but not the rubber.    ...just my experience.

By the way, you usually need to snug up the bolts with a rubber gasket a
time or two before they settle in.  But not 100"/lbs.

tony..

--
https://www.avg.com