<VV> Main Bearing Saga

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Aug 9 11:07:12 EDT 2022

This is from memory, hopefully someone will set me straight if I get it wrong.

When GM was developing the engine, there was some noise going on with some (not all) engines.  They never really worked out the cause and it didn't seem to hurt anything, but using a .001" offset on the number 4 main bearing made the noise go away so customers were happy.  For racing, at least some bearings were offered without the offset, as it wasn't really necessary in the first place.  I don't know if anyone ever did any specific testing in the later engines to see if the noise goes away with the longer stroke crank, I know GM kept the offset bearing through the production run.

For a performance application I'd run them.  For a street car, not sure.  If you did the worst thing would be an additional engine noise, but that might be enough reason.

--Bryan