<VV> Carb Jets Removal - tried and true

Grant gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 13 17:58:22 EST 2022

I have to remove stuck jets at least 5-6 times a week and have done several thousand. I haven't had any luck with reverse drill bits or easy outs as the brass gives up too easily. In short, there is no "easy" way once the slot is mostly gone. Here's some "tips":

Before starting, squirt some carb cleaner in the venturi cluster well so it can get to the jet thread and let it soak a few minutes.
If there are still some meat in the slot, hammering a large screwdriver into the slot and pushing down and turning with both hands often works. A good alternative is a large long bit on a power screwdriver or drill to break the bind. Beware, however, that if you try this and it doesn't work, the slot will be damaged.

The process I use after regularly failing with the screwdriver trick is to start with the smallest drill bit you have and work up to the jet hole size. Usually drilling through the jet will heat and vibrate it enough to break it loose before drilling it completely out. Use a big blade screw driver that you tap into any remaining slot after each drilling size attempt - drill, tap, twist, drill, tap, twist - I can usually get it out around the 1/8" - 5/32" size. But, as you increase the size, you also reduce thickness and increase the odds of it snapping off. If it does, you will have to go to the full size bit which is a #3 to get ready for your 1/4-28 tap. If a piece breaks off and remains in the bottom of the fuel passage, drill through it, remove the rivet below it, and punch the remnant out through the jet hole, or use a 1/8" bit and destroy it and shake it out. It is crucial, if you get this far, to run a small bit all the way through the passage until you can see the end of it in the venturi well. (I learned the hard way about 15 years ago that a piece of brass can find its way into that passage and block it). The rivet can be removed with some wire cutters and can be replaced and will expand back and seal the hole after using a BFH to flatten it. Blow everything out with compressed air before installing the new jet.

This sounds like it can take a lot of time and effort, but it's usually just a couple of minutes start to finish.

Good luck - The Carbmeister

.

What is the easiest way, if there is,? to get the jets out of a Corvair carb that someone has messed up trying to get them out.? ?
Jerry