<VV> Corvair Shop Needed

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 20:23:59 EDT 2022

Frank,
 I completely agree with your statement but want to make a more general statement. Whenever a job includes a major labor component like clutch work, you should always replace and/or rework components that might be marginal.  I am a big believer that if one wear component requires replacement, it is likely that other related wear components will soon require replacement as well.  Of course, this must be buffered with experience.  If a particular component "never" goes bad in the experience of a knowledgeable mechanic and it looks good under close inspection it may not need replacement.  As an example, while the engine is out you should check for flashing in the heads and de-flash if necessary.  At a minimum, you should remove the shrouding and pressure wash the engine.  Another example is replacement of perimeter seals, push rod seals (if there is a "small" leak), etc. It may seem trite but this old saying still holds.  "There is never time to do a job right but always time to do it over." By the way, the same goes for other things.  I had to replace the roof on my house.  The contractor gave me an estimate including the replacement of about 25% of the fascia which was obviously bad.  I told him to give me a price including replacement of all the fascia on the assumption that if 25% is bad now, more will go bad in the near future.  He told me it was fortunate that we did so because there was hidden damage in many places that would have been much worse if it had remained undiscovered. Doc~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~