<VV> 0W oils?

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun Jan 28 14:10:12 EST 2024

Hi Grant,

Kind of an old post, but I thought I'd reply anyway.  I get the idea, but I personally wouldn't run a 0W in a Corvair.  The current engine designs run tigher clearances and in many cases considerably more pressure to work with the 0W oils.  There's also the issue that a Corvair beats on the oil pretty hard due to the temp swings, and the way oils generally work is they start with a thin base and use additives to get the hot number, those additives wear out and the oil ends up being thinner over time, I'd have some concerns about using a 0W-30 or 0W-40.  I don't see any real benefit to going that low, perhaps a 5W would work ok, but even there it would have to be a fairly fresh engine.  Bear in mind also that the current synthetics flow much better anyway, a 10W-30 now has a much lower cold pour paint that when the Corvair was built.  Certainly if you're going to try it I'd plan on doing regular oil analysis.

--Bryan