[1969] A/C - Powerglide Questions

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 10:50:45 EDT 2007

                                        B"H

Robert:  Based on my understanding, it's possible you
may have a leak in the Powerglide cable seal.  Check
to ensure that the seal where the cable goes into the
transmission, under the rear of the car, is no wet
with tranny fluid.  Also make sure you pan gasket is
in good order.

When a PG sits for a certain amount of time, fluid
drains out of the converter and into the gearcase/pan
area, so this is probably your problems.

As for the A/C, I would strongly suggest purchasing
the Clark's A/C installation kit instructions.  They
give details as to how to install A/C in a Late model
Corvair.

Be very careful, especially if your smog pump and
plubming is still installed in the car and in working
order.  The heat generated by the smog equipment and
the A/C will affect your engine's longevity, unless
you take whatever steps you can to make the engine run
cooler, including using synthetic oil, possible remove
the lower shrouds (at least in the hot summer months),
ensure all oil leaks are fixed and your oil cooler is
in good working order.  Clark's also recommends the
1960-style "folded fin" oil cooler which is supposed
to be superior to the later types.

I am also planning to intall A/C in my 69 Monza at
some point in the future, but my smog stuff was
removed a long time ago.

Good luck...Bill Hershkowitz (69 Monza HT 110 PG
#5056)

I have an ongoing powerglide transmission concern.  I
had the transmission overhauled before I coupled it to
a 140 engine and installed it in my 69'. It is garaged
so it often sits during our HOT Summer months in AZ
with no running for weeks on end. During that time the
torque converter apparently takes a dump onto the
floor of the garage. I initially tried to use AMSOIL
transmission fluid but it is expensive and it runs all
over the floor as well as regular transmission fluid.
It usually takes about 2+ quarts to refill the
transmission. I know other owners of 65+ Corvairs with
powerglides that do not do this nasty trick. Does
anyone have any ideas as to what is taking place and
how I can correct this consistent problem?

I also have a Sanden compressor ready to install on
the 69' that I installed a stock 65' A/C unit on. I
need information on one item.  I do not have the
copper pipe running through the interior and I need
advice on how to run a new A/C hose under the car and
where to enter the car to access the hookup under the
dash. Can anyone give me particulars on this
modification?