[1969] 1969 95 HP horsepower

William Garrison william.garrison1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 19:28:59 EDT 2008

Does anyone have any data on how the HP compares between a '66 95 HP and a
'69 95 HP?  I suspect the open chamber heads are not as efficient as the
stepped chamber heads, but I never saw any comparisons of net HP or any
similar real comparison.

Why do I care?  I've got the engine from #4361, a 110 PG Monza coupe that
sat in my dad's back yard for 30 years until scrapped two years ago.  I know
this is a sad thing to happen to a 69.  I saved what I could when he finally
admitted that he was never going to restore it.  The engine is seized up but
had only 22.000 miles, so I was going to rebuild it to put in my daughter's
daily driver '66 (currently 95/PG w A/C).  The 69's cylinders are pitted, so
I was going to go for +20 overbore and new flat top pistons from one of our
vendors.  The rest of the engine looks OK.  However, every smog 95 I
drove back in the 70's was gutless and putting flat top pistons on this 110
makes it a 95.  However, most of the 95/PG cars I test drove in the
70's were not in great shape and would have had 3.27 differentials and smog
distributors and AIR pumps.  So, that may not be a fair comparison.  I can
probably come up with some pre-smog 95 heads, but the 22,000 mile '69 heads
are probably in better shape and I would rather use them unless I would be
missing out on a significant amount of power or economy.

So, is there a big difference between a smog 95 and a pre-smog 95 if you use
'66 carbs/distributor/manifolds?

Thanks,
Bill Garrison
Philadelphia Corvair Association