[1969] Frt Brake Hose

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 31 16:17:10 EDT 2015

All,

Having worked for 30 years for GM, I'd venture a guess that it was some
engineer's pet project, something that he thought should have been done
years ago but they didn't have the money to do it. Just like the '69 clutch
cable fix. There are several other small items on only the '69's like this.

You see, every year the management earmarks a certain dollar amount for each
car line for upgrades and redesigns. With the Corvair, the management was
probably unconcerned about the car, so they blindly allocated "X" dollars
towards "federal safety and emissions standards", not realizing that most of
that work was probably accomplished on the '68's. So this gave the engineers
some "play" money to spend (because if they didn't spend it, they possibly
would have been cut back on the projects they really wanted and needed to
put through). So they made sure they spent it, even if it was on someone's
pet project.

It may have been that said engineer in question had felt that the original
design was lacking in some respect. So he had this idea, and this gave him
the opportunity to put it into effect. But whether the original design was
deficient or not is irrelevant. What is important is, from an historical
perspective, if you are going for truly stock hardware, stick with the
"special" design parts. Otherwise, there's no reason that you absolutely
NEED to stay stock.

Bottom line is that I learned long ago that there's the right way, the wrong
way, and the GM way, and that what GM does often times defies rationality
and logic, at least from our perspective.

-Mark