<CORSA Chapters> Nagging the Membership

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:20:16 -0500

This is the article I wrote for this month's TCC newsletter.

Bill Hubbell
TCC President 2003-2004
CORSA Eastern Division Director Candidate 2004

"No Corvairs were harmed in the typing of this message"

At The Helm of TCC

Saturday, March 13, 2004

Today, as I write this column, I am saddened by the thought that TCC will
not be participating in the St. Patrick's Day parade for the first time in
many, many years. Well, we missed the deadline for applying to participate
through no real fault of our own, and the parade committee refused to
consider us. It is too bad, but these things happen. Perhaps we can learn a
lesson from this. We should not rely on others to remind us of deadlines and
duties, but we should anticipate and plan ahead. In this day of computers it
should be easier than ever to set up reminders to begin calling for
applications and the like, rather than waiting for some committee to send
out applications.

In that vein, I am reminded that I need to nag all of you once again to
consider attending this year's Virginia Vair Fair, to be held May 21-23, in
Lynchburg, VA. This weekend event, held annually, is a most excellent
opportunity to see many fine Corvairs, acquire parts, and rub elbows with
some of the finest Corvair people this side of the Appalachians. Roanoake
Valley Corvair Club is this year's host. The show kicks off with a Friday
night hospitality dinner. Saturday's events include a Rallye, games, door
prizes, valve cover racing, and dinner "from the menu" at "Cattle Annies".
Sunday closes the show with a People's Choice car display and awards.
Lodging is available at the Ramada Inn (434-847-7500), for $65/night (+tax)
which also includes full breakfast. Contact Mike & Kerri Stillwell
(yenko117@yahoo.com), 2504 Laurel Ave, Buena Vista VA 24416, 540-261-8994.
Lets all get busy making phone calls and ensure a huge turnout from
Tidewater Corvair Club! Remember that we will be hosting this event next
year, so let's show some support for the RVCC's show and maybe we can expect
some for our own.

Also, by now you should be making your plans to attend this year's CORSA
International Convention, to be held June 15-19 in Lexington, KY and hosted
by Central Kentucky Corvair & Derby City Corvair clubs. If you are still
kicking yourself for missing last year's gala event in Carlisle, PA, here is
a chance to redeem yourself. You won't get a CORSA convention this close
again for many years. Every Corvair event you can imagine will be held at
this nearly week long event, and parts and technical expertise will be in
abundant supply. You will get the chance to hobnob with the CORSA management
and express your views. If you need further encouragement, talk with our own
Bill Manke, who attended his first CORSA convention last year. I know he is
still excited about it. The host hotel is the Hyatt Regency for $99/night
(800/233-1234 or 859/253-1234), or make reservations online at
http://lexington.hyatt.com/groupbooking/corv. Other hotel accommodations at
cheaper rates are also available, and camping is available nearby as well.
Rooms and campsites are already filling up, so please act quickly to ensure
your reservation. Contact Greg Scarboro (kycorsa@yahoo.com), 859-278-6081,
or visit the web site at www.kycorsa.com.

Next month I will be giving a presentation on "conventioneering", which will
introduce you to the events and activities common at Corvair shows, giving
you an idea of what to expect when you attend. If you like Corvairs, I
guarantee that you will enjoy yourself at a Corvair show.

Happy Corvairing!

Bill Hubbell

TCC President