<CORSA Chapters> Ideas from CORSA members

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Sat Aug 5 00:15:06 EDT 2006

OK my turn...

The Mid Continent Corvair Association is very active. We have a fairly
informal monthly meeting every month except June and December. In June we  attend a
very large outdoor car show and in December, we buy our club President  very
nice, expensive Corvair related Christmas presents (G). Our meeting are  held
at a community recreation center with a good size parking lot that is all
ours during our meetings (no fear of door dings unless they come from another
Corvair). The meeting almost always start in the parking lot as we discuss  and
show off our cars. Once inside, we review regular club business,  welcome
guests, interrogate new members and end the meeting with "Show and  Tell." We
encourage our members to bring interesting, odd Corvair stuff to share  at the
meeting, very popular.

We also have some regular activities. In February we go out for dinner at
the Pre-Spring Fling. This is a substitute to the traditional holiday party. We
also have Tunas three times a year, "Cold Tuna" in February, "Juna Tuna" in
June, and "Luna Tuna" in October. A Tuna is a massive tech session with food.
They typically last all day, 8 hours and are held at Terry Kalp's shop. These
 have become extremely popular, even with some folks in the surrounding
clubs. We  have several members that have greatly improved their mechanical
abilities  through the Tuna program. Several of our members get together for parades
and  car shows. After the August meeting we go to the local "Sonic" (a Midwest
chain  that still uses car hops and plays the oldies).

Last year we started the "Great Plains Corvair Roundup." A typical Corvair
weekend of fun. We have a VC race, concours, car show, banquet tech sessions
and  other Corvair fun. This event is co-hosted by the clubs in Kansas City,
Oklahoma  City and Tulsa. This year Tulsa is the host city. They have added a
swap meet,  funkana and model cars to the event.

We also have a web site (_www.kansascorvairs.org_
(http://www.kansascorvairs.org) ) that has been a  GREAT tool. We post our newsletters and calendar among
other thing on the site.  It has turned out to be a great asset for keeping
our members informed and  attracting new members.

As for giving the directors specific areas of responsibility, I'd like to
see it go one step further. I'd like to see the directors attend events or
meetings of the clubs in their area. I have traveled to other club  meetings,
about 300 miles from home, just to get a Corvair fix. I understand  this will be
very difficult for the directors, but I think it is a great way for  them to
really get to know what the CORSA members are thinking about and  wanting from
CORSA.

OK who's next?
Ned