<CORSA Chapters> Using the local Newspaper -- publicity

tim mahler flat6vair at insightbb.com
Mon Jan 15 09:44:35 EST 2007

Some good ideas need to be passed along as soon as we hear them, and not
wait for some arbitrary schedule. Chuck Armer, the benevolent soul from
Atlanta and one of the three Membership chairs (Tom Connolly and Pam Ray
being the other two) provides us with this publicity idea.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution newpaper (AJC) has a section called
"Wheels" that appears every Friday listing upcoming events including
cruise-ins, charity shows, car shows, and major events for that weekend and
beyond. Plus all car clubs are listed in the AJC with contact information
and web sites. Corvair Atlanta is listed as "Corvair Atlanta, meetings
usually on third Sundays, 770-455-4610" The phone number belongs to member
Chuck Armer.

Chuck has a 2 line answering machine that is kept on 24/7. He uses a polite
recorded message that usually results in the individual leaving a name an
phone number. CORSA and Corvair Atlanta have gained new members because of
this tool. Chuck has also saved a number of Corvairs from the crusher and
redistributed parts from un-save-able cars in the process.

I have received several emails via my chapter website with similar results:
Note CORSA provides web space for chapters and can also redirect email

I know that not all newspapers offer such an option as the AJC, but if its
available in your area, please consider using that free publicity, A phone
number is often better than an email address, both is best - give the
potential member the option.

My thanks to Chuck for reminding us about this publicity option.

Tim Mahler

CORSA president