<CORSA Chapters> spam infiltration, member counts, etc. sorry for the length!

David McMillan dmac632000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 09:05:07 EST 2007

Hey all,
Our club e-mail list has been receiving spam (it's addressed specifically to our club's e-mail list through corvair.org) has been receiving spam e-mail. I was wondering if anyone else has been having the same problem...and this prompted me to send this particular e-mail to bring this to Mr. Bryan Blackwell's attention (if I'm not mistaken you handle this Bryan, no? Please help! Is this something I can handle through the administrative page?).

Also, some other questions came to mind and I thought maybe sending my thoughts out like this would prompt some "inter-chapter" discussion (perhaps this occurred at the meetings during the Convention, but unfortunately (?), I was unable to attend because I was 'busy' proposing to my now fiance on a cruise at that time! LOL).

1. How many chapters are "linked in" to this particular chapter e-mail listing? Am I speaking to all chapter reps through this e-mail or is it a core few that are signed onto this? Tim Mahler, I appreciate your e-mails concerning membership lately and I've been including them in my monthly newsletters. Thank you. With the new calendar year, we've been re-signing members at a rapid pace, which leads me to question 2.

2. Our club operates on a calendar year basis, so each January we try to get everyone to "re-up" quickly. It's a lot easier to track "current members" who owe their dues and once done, we only have to deal with chasing the few stragglers that hold out or procrastinate. Although, last year we've been "gathering" new members at a rapid pace (we hope to keep them!) We've established a date of the last part of September (after the Clark's Show which generates additional members) and after for new recruits being inducted for the following year, so they're not required to pay dues again for the next year so soon.

 3. How many members does each chapter have? From last year's listings of potentials, I've got a list of nearly 82 members, of which to this date 33 have signed on. I expect this to increase dramatically very soon, as those that haven't renewed will receive their  February newsletter with a personal note saying it is their last (similar to most publications' policies). Last year, being a freshly voted in Secretary/Editor, I was pretty lenient on this...not so this year!

4. How many club members of each club are CORSA members? I'm trying to gather this information through our application process and will be bringing this to our executive committee for discussion about how to get more club members to join. I think there would be reluctance to FORCE our club members to have to join CORSA to stay a Bay State Member as I've read some other clubs do, but
I've posted the CORSA membership drive coupon on our website and in our newsletter, but it has just recently expired. Will there be any more such offerings from CORSA? I thought it was a pretty decent idea and wonder how many actually took advantage of this.
A suggestion (if this hasn't already been suggested)...perhaps a chapter contest to see who generates the biggest % increase of new CORSA members within their club?

5. Is there a "Chapter Report" showing current chapter information to be submitted to CORSA? I've checked online on the CORSA site at forms and elsewhere, but could find nothing.

6. I know there was some discussion a little while ago on this, but on e-mailing pdf file newsletters out, has anyone else had difficulties with members not being able to download their newsletter properly. I know some computer users are more savvy than others, which is probably where the difficulty lies, but maybe some of you may have some input on this particular opportunity. I publish in as early an acrobat version as possible so those who haven't updated their own versions will have access, but I've been getting more and more people saying they can't download properly. I try to keep the file size as small as possible (2MB or less), but I DO publish six double-sided sheets every month...

Again I apologise for the length of this e-mail but felt compelled to get this out there this morning to see what info I can glean from others and maybe stir up the pot a little...

Thank you in advance if you respond!!!   ;-)

Dave McMillan
Secretary-Editor
Bay State Corvairs