<CORSA Chapters> Conventions -- host chapters , event chairs

tim mahler flat6vair at comcast.net
Wed Dec 24 08:13:42 EST 2008

Several ideas have been thrown out about CORSA conventions because the
number of chapters willing to host the convention seems to be small.   CORSA
usually finds a chapter, and almost every chapter does an excellent job.
But,  everyone always ask, can we do better?     At this point,  although 1
or 2 chapters have expressed interest in the 2011 western convention,  CORSA
does not have a formal bid . I know who I am rooting for to bid,  but I
won't put them on the spot.  2012 has at least one interested chapter as
does 2013 (already).    This does get us to travel to new and varied places.

Convention profits -- Let me tackle that one up front.  Most clubs use shows
(conventions) as a fund raiser.  CORSA and the host chapter should not be an
exception.  The host chapter does a lot of work,  deserves something.
CORSA's share of the profits actually is used for CORSA expenses directly
related to the convention -- Name tag holders, pre-convention meeting
expenses, Event rule publications, Senior Concours awards, and recently some
audio/video equipment to lower convention expenses for the following years.
CORSA basically breaks even over a 6 year cycle.

Finding a host chapter, in some years, can be difficult --

Should a better Convention hosting package be developed?  A seminar on the
dos and don'ts?

Should CORSA be the host, and select a chapter?  <seems to be problematic
with the volunteer part of the equation>
Should CORSA consider rotating amongst 3 or 6 Convention locations  like
some other clubs?

Should the CORSA event chairpersons be the person running the competitive
events with help from the local event chairperson?  Concours works closest
to this model.  The moving events are run primarily be the local
chairperson, with advice from the national chair (auto-x specifically comes
to mind)

Thinking out loud.   Changes such as this should not come quickly,  need to
be discussed, debated, thought about from different angles.
I am seeking those different angles -- Would returning to Ventura (nice
weather, nice location, all in one location, plenty of trailer parking,
wish there were more hotel options)  be good?  or get boring after a year or
two.   The local help may get tired of it too. (need local for rally,
econo-run at a minimum)

thanks all,   I go back to my room and hide for awhile.

Tim mahler