<CORSA Chapters> Chapter Reports -- Qs / Poll

George Jones 65crownv8 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 09:16:09 EST 2008

Tim,

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here since the only capacity I am
currently working in is the newsletter editor for the Tidewater Corvair
Club. I have, however, included our President and recently elected Secretary
on this post in the event they are not subscribed to the chapters list.

At the CORSA finance committee,  it was noted that few chapters have filed
the their Chapter report.  We are trying to do this online versus the old
paper format,  so I am guessing numerous problems exist.  Need help
identifying those problems so they can be fixed. (I say that frequently at
work, I can't fix something if I don't know its broke or what is broke)
 I know Clark Hartzel has mentioned that deleting old members, from a large
chapter, was far more work then it should be. Harry made a correction there.

I've asked our past secretary a number of times, and it seems the response I
always get is that "CORSA hasn't mailed them out in years!", so I can only
assume that our secretary is unaware of the need, or how, to file online. I
would suggest that CORSA needs to make a concerted effort to identify the
chapter officers on an annual basis, and ensure they are subscribed to the
chapters list. Surely, one of the 4 or so officers has an email account. I
think CORSA also needs to make accomodations for those chapters who do not
have email or internet access.

Did chapter's simply forget to update their reports?

I don't think our Secretary forgot, she's been doing it for 20+ years, I
think she was confused when she didn't get it in paper format, and didn't
seek guidance.

Is the process cumbersom?

I wish I could answer that. When I sought to update the information for TCC,
I was told by Matt Nall that I should talk to one of my club officers! I
realized then that I was fighting a loosing battle.

Did the chapter contact change or still unknown?

Our chapter POC hasn't changed in 20+ years. Obviously, with the advent of
the internet, she did get an email address, but I don't have a clue as to
whether or not CORSA ever had that email address.

Is the contact person correct?

Well, again, I think CORSA has to make an attempt to update these POCs (and
their email address) in January (assuming that all chapters hold elections
at the end of each year). Maybe some chapter standardization should be
implimented?

Should we also send a reminder to the chapter postal address?

Yes, I think a post card reminder would be appropriate. Maybe an email
reminder, and after a month, if the update hasn't been completed, then a
post card reminder.

Should the mailing include a list of members on record with CORSA?

No, this just increases costs by moving from post card rate to letter rate.
If the data is available online, that should be sufficient, again, with the
caveat that the clubs without internet access will need to be treated
differently.

Are their ways we could make the update easier?

I'm not qualified to speak to this, but I would guess that the answer is
yes.

Should CORSA eliminate the "filing fee"?

In my not so humble opinion, I don't believe this should be
eliminated. CORSA is in a budget crunch, by having chapters who are not 100%
CORSA membership, it only hurts CORSA more. I don't care what anyone says
about the having the option to join CORSA, anyone who is a chapter member is
reaping a benefit from CORSA. They should be required to pay for the benefit
they are receiving, one way or another.

Should CORSA eliminate the chapter report altogether?

I don't feel this should be eliminated. It isn't a lot of effort, and the
data it provides is very valuable to the future health of CORSA.

If yes, How will the chapter information be (insured to be) kept up to date?

I don't think it could be. If you want to gather the data, it's still going
to be a chapter report. Call it what you will.

George Jones
Performance Corvair Group
Tidewater Corvair Club (since 1987)
Central Virginia Corvair Club (since 2006)
Corvair Society of America (CORSA)(since 1987)
'65 Monza Crown V8 Convertible
'66 Monza Coupe Custom