<CORSA Chapters> CORSA

Ken Schifftner scrubbr at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 18 07:32:44 EST 2009

Tim and others:

May I had my two cents worth....?

I think CORSA needs to better define and then enhance its "product".  Doing so will hopefully retain and perhaps add members.

Most folks I know of who don't belong to CORSA question what joining would bring.  The Comminique is obviously a very positive perk...but what other tangible things are for them?  The Insurance is intangible, particularly if they don't participate.  For some, even Tech topics are foreign to them...others work on their vehicles.

Tim Schwartz of NJACE, IMHO, made a good observation recently.  When Corvair folks gather, they gather with other Corvair folks.  We need to promote the Corvair and CORSA at more "public" venues.  We need to show those borderline people the advantages of joining CORSA.

There are ideas however.

I've been discussing with Pete Koehler and others about making the cutaway drivetrain a trailered portable display that could be rented by official CORSA chapters to show at events. (This is a spin off of an idea Pete put forward a few yeears ago).  A DVD player/display could show CORSA activities, local club activities, NECC activities, fund raisers (such as the food bank type things chapters are doing), etc..  CORSA would then add some tangibles and get the word out.  Like to race Corvairs? CORSA has it. Interested in automotive history or design?  CORSA has it.  Community service events?  Yes, our chapters do that.  Technical assistance?  Yes.  Friendships?  Yes, definitely...both local and international.

I think CORSA will be stronger if it focuses on adding to the tangible benefits of membership.

I don't think chapters should be forced to join CORSA...they should go willingly.  I do think CORSA should leverage chapters who have low CORSA membership by withholding some of these perks (such as a roving display) or making them available for a fee to offset the cost.

Just some ideas.

Ken Schifftner