<CORSA Chapters> Combining Chapter and National membership fees; shared databases

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Sat Feb 28 11:01:12 EST 2009

Thanks, Bob.

Instead of just bringing up the potential problems with the idea, why not
also suggest possible solutions, so we can move forward?

Addressing your concerns - just my ideas, but let's hear yours:

First of all, we set this up as a strictly voluntary offer, much like we do
with having CORSA server host the chapter web sites - chapters can opt in or
opt out - their choice, and at their speed and level of comfort.

As for cost - before I would answer, I would want to know exactly how time
we are actually talking about.  There would be, of course, some initial
administrative cost to set up the web site to allow people to "buy" their
chapter membership when renewing CORSA dues, assuming that is how we set it
up (preferred over sending paper bills for cost reasons).  Additional
administrative time would be spend actually handling the money and making
payment to the chapters, but again, once set up, actual time spent should be
minimal.  Overall, I would see this as a benefit of CORSA membership and the
cost would therefore come out of CORSA dues and to be part of the management
team's job description and therefore paid as part of their contract, as
negotiated between them and CORSA. However, to a certain extent, this might
improve membership in either CORSA or the Chapters, especially if some sort
of joint-membership discounts can be agreed upon - expense of such discount
to likely be shared between chapter and CORSA, per mutual agreement.

As for the issues that face the local clubs with timing of dues payments,
multi-year discounts, etc., let the local clubs decide how they want to set
up the options and CORSA simply provide those options on the renewal form or
on-line "store".  This idea works best on-line because it is easy and
cost-effective to set-up as many options as needed, as opposed to a paper
renewal form.

For instance, consider this sample (note - using current fees from
Communique):

**************************CORSA Membership Store****************************

Please select any one of the following options for whichever clubs you wish
to join (note: you must be a CORSA member to use these services)

CORSA Membership (Join or Renew)
[] One Year Membership.................................................$38
[] 26 Month Membership.................................................$76
(etc.)

010 Stock Corvair Group
[] One Year membership................................................$10

074 NJACE Membership
[] One Year Membership.................................................$X
[] Two Year Membership.................................................$Y
Note: please specify type of membership desired (cost is the same either
way):
[] Individual (no further information needed)
[] Family (if this box is checked, web site will open new boxes to get name
information for additional members)

236 Tidewater Corvair Club Membership
[] Full year membership (runs from June through May)...................$12
[] Pro-rated membership (figured from today's date to next June at $1/month)

Anyway, I could go on, but you should be able to get the idea.  The hard
part is building the "store" website with the multiple choices, but Harry
already has this in process.  If CORSA board were to approve the concept the
next step would be up to the Chapters to decide to join up and provide their
individual requirements, etc.

Bill Hubbell