<CORSA Chapters> the Jack Pinard situation and other topics

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Fri Jan 8 10:01:11 EST 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 8:39 PM, tim mahler wrote:

> Number 1  - Harry and Mike had informed me of nothing.   All chapter
> rep have access to the chapter DB -- who is and who is not a CORSA
> member -- it is part of the online chapter reporting system -- but
> alas, Sarah does not use that system.
>
> Number 2 - I was very reluntant to send the note. However, I had to
> my job, which was to abide by the by-laws.  A lapse in membership
> terminates a board member's term on the board.  The by-laws does not
> state 1 month or 3 weeks, just a lapse.
>
> Number 3 - I can put Dec 15 2009 on my check even thought it is Jan
> 7, 2010.  The date doesn't mean anything except for how long the
> bank may honor an old check.<banks may or may not honor a check that
> is over 6 months old>
>
> Number 4 - Jack was given 30 days to ask to be re-appointed. Jack
> chose not to say a word -- not even to protest.  Considering Jack
> protested EVERY thing else the board did, why did he not protest
> this action?  Silence does not mean yes, but it does tend to mean
> acceptance. Jack has been silent for over a month.
>
> Number 5 - Jack objections were refluted repeeatedly as being
> unneccessary or simply wrong.  Not just by me, but many, a majorty,
> of the rest of the board.
>
> Number 6 - I was not seeking to have Jack removed from the board. In
> fact, i argued that the by-laws did not allow it.  I was trying to
> get Jack to understand that I and the majority of the board felt the
> rules were being followed, and the by-laws and procedures were fine
> as they are. we even had outside opinions to that fact. But because
> Jack was not getting his way, he objected.
>
> Finally -- If the board and the chapters wants me to step down. I
> will.  I have a paying job that i enjoy.  I do not need to be
> trashed for doing my duty -- and all while being a volunteer
> myself.  Life is too short.

Tim,

Your actions seem appropriate to me.

As a user of the CORSA membership database, I know you're correct
about #1. It had already occurred to me that anyone with db access
could determine  this.

Our CORSA SC bylaws are set up to allow for the removal of a member
who is disruptive to the club. We have never had to use this
mechanism, but it is in place, should it be necessary.

We also have membership guidelines, not unlike CORSA's. Obviously,
someone must be a member of CORSA SC to hold office. We've had members
quit our board, quit our club... been there... done that. In the end,
officers need to be reasonable and responsible, but the rules must be
followed, hopefully, without alienating members, etc.

There are many instances in life where you have to determine where to
draw the line. Governing documents, such as by laws, tell you where.
Sometimes you may be in such a situation and realize those guidelines
are inadequate. If that happens, you need to revise the guidelines, as
time permits. Whether there are any guidelines or by laws of CORSA's
that need revision, I don't know. But I do know, it seems to me as
though this is the time for action on the part of the board, not to
deal with minutia, but to solve problems - the problem of declining
membership, etc.

 From my perspective, as a CORSA member, not on the board, it seemed
like Jack was sincerely trying to help CORSA, by interjecting some new
thinking into things, something that is needed at this critical time.
But, such interjection must be done properly. Again, based on what I
had "heard" Jack's input was unfortunately more disruptive to the
board than helpful. Hopefully those currently on the board can distill
the good intentions that Jack had into positive changes for CORSA.
Maybe in the long run, he will have made a positive contribution by
inspiring you to make positive changes, maybe not.

I would suggest that all of you not air all your problems and
disagreements on VirtualVairs or other public forums. I see nothing to
be gained by doing so. This is no time for vengeance, it is a time for
cooperation and action.

The board needs to come up with ways to increase or at least maintain
membership. You can be assured that some of the comments currently on
VV have/are cost(ing) members. I have a large envelope right here that
I have to mail today too a new member. It contains a sample Communique
and a current CORSA membership application. I spoke with him last
night and described the benefits of CORSA membership. Hopefully, upon
looking at this Communique, he'll decide to part with forty-five of
his retirement dollars and join CORSA. I sure hope he doesn't get on
any of these forums and see all the childish name-calling and bashing
going on.

I read several chapter newsletters. I'm amazed at how many chapters
seem to have formal meetings each month. They read last month's
minutes, have committee reports, etc. Years ago, we scraped that mode.
Our members don't come to our meetings to hear all that boring stuff
OR TO HEAR OFFICERS AND MEMBERS BICKER ABOUT ISSUES. We make those
decisions at board meetings. Minutes are published in our newsletter
and meetings are open to members, but we elect officers to hash out
all those details.

Same hold true of the CORSA board. You folks are elected to run the
club. Your minutes are published for all to read, if we care to do so.
But your bickering and disagreements, which are bound to occur when
dealing with controversial topics, don't have to become public.

Sincerely,

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina