<CORSA Chapters> Banquet alternative

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Thu Mar 4 11:55:30 EST 2010

We did have an agreement with one hotel for a pizza party.
When they quoted the price for sheet pizzas they failed to mention that it was plus tax and service charge. The service charge was 18% and the tax was 7% on top of that. When the bill came it was discovered that basically the sheet pizzas cost us over $42 each.
And there was not enough to go around........
Worse than that, with several great pizza parlors in close proximity of the hotel, we assumed the hotel weas preparing the pizza........
wrong again!
They ordered Domino's and it was awful!

You live and learm.

When I am involved with anything, the hotels hate me as I demand all prices quoted are including all taxes and fees, in writing. They hate that, but if pushed, will do it.
That way you can compare, and get a true feeling of what their fees will be.
Some hotels will charge a "service charge" of 15 to 20 %. And a service charge can and should be negotiable.
and you have to watch out for set up charges too!

Depending on where you are, a service charge is taxable, but if it is called a gratuity, the gratuity is not taxable. Think about that.

Gary Swiatowy