<CORSA Chapters> Member participation

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu May 28 13:53:02 EDT 2015

Just a couple of thoughts/comments that may help.  One reason to do some different things isn't that there's anything wrong with what's currently happening.  It's just to get a bit of "freshness" if you will.  If nothing else, it may help you, and there's nothing wrong with doing something a little different just because it's good for Ned (or whoever the club officer or regular attendee might be).

> On May 28, 2015, at 1:06 AM, Ned Madsen via Chapters <chapters at corvair.org> wrote:
>
> To come clean, we had a "new" member show up at a recent meeting saying the club had to change. He wanted us to do more things, different things than what we've been doing. Of course he hasn't participated in most of those events. We offered to "let" him plan an event but of course that was too much for him to do. He just wanted others to do everything he wanted. That is when he lost me.

Yeah, I totally get your point.  I would say that if anything of those things sound like fun to you, then it might be worth a try (see above rationale).

> Our monthly meeting begins with an unofficial dinner social. We then move to a local community center. It's a nice room in a nice building with it's own parking lot that we get for free. Sounds perfect for a car club, IMO. We meet on Saturday night. That has always been a concern of mine. Do we lose attendance because it's "date night?" Every time I suggest changing the night to a week night, it's overwhelmingly turned down. Of course that's by the folks that are there on a Saturday night.
>

> On the plus side we have our Tunas, three times a year. These events are very successful and regionally (nationally?) famous. The success is 99.9% due to the hospitality of our host, Terry Kalp. The other 0.1% is the food, that's not an insult of the food.

I'd say the Tunas are nationally famous!  It does help that you guys spread the word, and that's good for everyone to see what works.

One other thought on "events" and the "younger crowd".  In many cases young folks do much lower key get togethers, just go hang out somewhere and talk cars, maybe with a drive before or after.  Around here they call them "meetups".  Facebook is an easy tool to use for setting these up - check the weather forecast for tomorrow or the next day, pick a spot, and go!  Have dessert or stop at a brewery, not a full meal.  Maybe a fun drive to/from.  We've been experimenting with that, with some success.  Don't expect too much, but we've gotten a couple folks who couldn't make anything else to come.  Great for a weeknight!

--Bryan