<CORSA Chapters> Virtual Garage Sale

Jim Simpson simpson661 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 17:15:10 EST 2021

Group Corvair is going to try something new (at least to us), a *Virtual
Garage Sale.*  (We are sending this to everyone who receives the Group
Corvair newsletter.  *LOCAL NEWSLETTER EDITORS (MD, VA, PA, DE) -- PLEASE
PASS THIS ON TO YOUR MEMBERS.*)

We're assisting Barbara Frailey, the widow of the late Pete Frailey a
long-time Corvair enthusiast who died in July 2019.  Barbara would like to
clean out the garage and workshop and we, as a club, volunteered to help
out.

Before anyone gets too excited, Pete cleared out his inventory of Corvair
parts a year or so before he died.  Just about all the major items went to
the Corvair Ranch.  There are a few odds and ends of small parts, but
nothing particularly significant.  What's left, though, are his tools.
Barbara Frailey has no use for them and would like them to go to a good
home, preferably a Corvair enthusiast.

Normally we'd hold a garage sale and sell off everything one item at a
time, all in one day.  But unfortunately the coronavirus pandemic has
struck.  So we're going to do this on-line.

We've attached a MS Excel spreadsheet with a list of the items, a
description as best as we could determine, a thumbnail photo and a minimum
bid.  There are two more columns titled "Current Bid" and "Your Bid".  We
recognize that the thumbnail images are tiny and hard to view.  We have
more pictures available and if you want to see them, let Bob Hall (
hallgrenn at aol.com) know and he'll make them available to you.

Some of the items, particularly lines 8 through 13, are going to be
something of surprise packages.  The tool boxes are all loaded with tools
ranging from basic screwdrivers, to tap and die sets, to dial indicators
and more.  We've made no attempt to sort things out or to ensure that any
particular set is complete.  It's just as Pete left things.  So study the
pictures and make an offer.

*The way we're going to do this is if you want to bid on any of these
items, put your bid in the "Your Bid" column and e-mail it back to us, Bob
Hall -- hallgrenn at aol.com <hallgrenn at aol.com> and Jim Simpson --
simpsonj at verizon.ne <simpsonj at verizon.net>t .  Daily (or as required),
we'll update the spreadsheet with the highest bids in the "Current Bid"
column and send it back out to everyone who has submitted a bid.  (We'll
keep track of who has the highest bid for each item but won't put the name
in the updated spreadsheets so we can maintain some degree of privacy.)  *

*Note that if you don't submit a bid on anything, you won't be getting the
updated spreadsheets.  We don't want to bombard the system with SPAM.  So
if you want to participate, bid on at least one item.*

*We're going to run this for a little over three weeks, ending at noon on
Friday, February 5.  We assume that the bidding on most items will have
ended by then.  We'll assume if there hasn't been a new bid in the last 5
minutes before noon, the bidding has ended.  (If there is still competition
over some individual items, we might split them out into a new spreadsheet
and circulate it just to the individuals who are still bidding.  Bear with
us on this; we've never done anything like this before.)*

*Payment and Pickup:  First, all sales are final.  We make no guarantees of
any kind.  We have NOT tested any of the machinery or closely examined any
of the tools.  Payments will be by check made out to Group Corvair and sent
to:  Jim Simpson, 3845 Wayson Road, Davidsonville, MD  21035.  (Group
Corvair is just acting as a collection point; all proceeds will go to
Barbara Frailey.)  Pickup is up to you at Barbara's home in Gaithersburg,
MD; we will NOT ship anything.  Once we've received payment, we'll put you
in touch with Barbara and you can set up a date and time to collect your
loot.  PLEASE OBSERVE ALL CORONAVIRUS PRECAUTIONS!*

Any questions, contact either of us via e-mail (above) or phone (below).

Good Luck!

Bob Hall  (301-213-9852)
Jim Simpson  (240-232-2820)
Group Corvair