[FC] sputtering

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Apr 9 23:15:01 2003

Check the spark plug wires and boots...... they are probably in poor
condition.  Also look for a cracked distributor cap or moisture getting into
the distributor.  If you replace the cap, use one that has copper tipped
terminals.  The aluminum terminals have a tendency to corrode and cause
problems.  Also check the top of the coil.  If it is covered with an oil film,
it will allow the spark a path to ground rather than to the plugs.  Last, make
sure that the condenser inside the distributor is the correct one and that the
points are properly gapped and timing set to spec.  Reliability is always
compromised by just finding the first problem and fixing that without checking
the balance of the system to see that nothing else is compounding the problem.
Paul in wet & cold Ct
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ben Stiles
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 10:56 PM
  Subject: [FC] sputtering

  Hey guys and gals!

  I have been having trouble with the Greenbrier sputtering in wet weather.
  If I floor the pedal, it really spits and complains, but if I let it off to
  just about the middle of the pedal tension, it smooths out at least enough
  to get me up the hills.

  I have tried the dry gas trick and suspect it might be dry plug wires.
  Could it also be accelerator pumps or something else?

  Let me know if you know!

  Hope to see all of you in Carlisle.  I will have both of my FCs there!

  Thanks!  Ben Stiles