[FC] 63 accelerator cable

Donald Ralph corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Apr 20 07:56:01 2003

I had the same problem with my accelerator cable.  I had tried a heavier
spring at the cross shaft on the engine, but that just made matters worse.
Then someone here suggested that the front spring at the peddle might be
weak.  Mine was badly rusted.  So I replaced that spring and the problem was
solved.

Don
----- Original Message -----
From: <hmoore@sandiego.edu>
To: <corvanatics@corvair.org>; <PhilMcNear@aol.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 8:18 PM
Subject: [FC] 63 accelerator cable

Hi everyone.  Well I want to give everyone a bit of history on my newly
aquired
greenbrier (my second corvair and second car ever).  My girlfriend and I
pulled
the drivetrain because the input shaft in the tranny was shot and leaking
fluid
all over.  We got an extra rearend and tranny rebuilt and then put
everything
back together. There is still a lot of tweeking to be done and fine tune
adjustments, such as the carbs.  One of the things that really needs some
help
is the accelerator cable that goes from the gas pedal to the cross shaft.
It
is very hard to push at first and then is not very responsive on the
release,
its sticky.
What is the best way to lubricate the cable and make it more responsive?

Also, does anyone have a part number or a description of the spring that
connects to the tranny rod in the engine compartment, maybe a local parts
store
will carry one?

Thanks
Harry Moore