[FC] Carpet in Garages

yenko24 corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Aug 1 13:25:01 2003

I have used carpet for years with the plastic on the floor under it.

A couple of thoughts;

1. At least here in the Cincinnati area, the problem is not hot weather or
cold weather, but the temperature inversion that happen in storage areas when
the humidity is high, the car or FC is cold and the temperature rises.  The
moisture condenses on the "cold" metal parts.    Inside and outside of the
panels.  If you catch it at the right time you can write your name in the
moisture on the panels.

2. Put in ceiling fans and let them run at low speed in the spring to try to
stabilize the temperature inversion.  I use an old/new  $10 "box" up in the
rafters points and an angle to the floor.  Moves the warm upper air top the
bottom.

3. The best thing I have done is buy a "Car Bag" from http://www.carbag.com .
Put it down on the floor, drive the car onto it, put on a car cover, put the
desiccant under the vehicle and zip it shut.  The car comes out in late spring
looking just like it went in in the fall.  ABSOLUTELY worth the money in not
having to work on all the "stuff" that takes a beating from being "wet".  Like
all the chrome, carbs, alternators, , , , , , ,

The zipper style is a bit pricey, but body & paint work is more so.

Mike